Did you know that organics waste accounts for approximately 30% of all waste generated in your home?
Organic waste collection and decomposition, or composting, is the process of collecting, grinding, mixing and using air or water to speed up aerobic (with oxygen) or anaerobic (without oxygen) decomposition of organic material.
The resulting compost created by this process is a nutrient rich material that can be spread over soil to help nurture plant growth and health.
Composting is a vital part of promoting green friendly methods of waste reduction and environmental sustainability.
The Township is encouraging you to make the switch from plastic bags to compostable or paper bags to line your Green Bin or kitchen container.
- Compostable bags break down completely into compost during the composting process
- Plastic bags do not break down and are screened from the final compost and landfill
- Compostable bags are made from natural, plant-based materials
- Plastic bags are petroleum-based and require 400 to 1,000 years to break down
- Compostable bags support a more sustainable, environmentally
- Friendly process.
Compostable bags are available at most grocery and hardware stores throughout York Region. Many different brands are available, but be sure to look for certified compostable bags.