We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territories of the Wendat, the Haudenosaunee and the Anishinaabe peoples, whose presence here continues to this day. We also would like to acknowledge that these are the treaty lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit and to thank them and other Indigenous peoples for sharing this land with us.
A Place to Call Home: The History and Heritage of King Township
Originally settled by United Empire Loyalists in the late 18th century, King Township is the largest municipality in York Region, with the smallest population. When it was first surveyed in 1800, the Township only had 20 recorded residents.
Early communities soon developed around saw mills, gristmills and tanneries and farmers enjoyed the rich soil of the region.
The building of the railway in the mid-19th century marked a change in King Township as many small communities were by-passed. A century later, the construction of Highway 400, from North York to Barrie, bisected the township. King Township today is focused around three main villages—King City, Nobleton and Schomberg—and is truly a community of communities.