Traffic Calming

The Traffic Calming Request Policy was developed with the goal of improving public safety for all road users by altering driver behaviour to encourage appropriate speeds on the Township’s roads. Traffic calming measures can reduce vehicles speeds and volumes while also reducing conflicts between road users. Traffic calming is used where the majority of motorists are driving inappropriately. For locations where only a few motorists are speeding Police enforcement is the best solution - please refer to the Road Watch section below or visit the Road Watch Program site for further information.

                                         Traffic Calming Chart


                                                                       Submit a Traffic Calming Request


Traffic Calming Request Schedule 

Request Intake PeriodRequests can be submitted to the Township any time of the year. However, any request submitted after September 15th will be evaluated for the following year’s evaluation.
Data Collection PeriodAny necessary traffic data will be collected prior to October 31st in order to conduct the evaluation of traffic calming warrant.
Evaluation PeriodThe data will be evaluated and prioritized from November 1st to February 28th based on the Traffic Calming Strategy.
Implementation PeriodSelected traffic calming measures will be procured between March 1st to April 31st (if in-house staff resources and expertise not available) and implemented between May 1st and June 3rd.
Monitoring PeriodMonitoring of recently installed traffic calming measures will be conducted between September 1st and October 31st.

Additional Resources:                                 

Frequently Asked Questions

Installation of Asphalt Speed Humps in 2022

Speed humps will be installed at the following locations and installation is expected by the end of August. 

King City   Nobleton
62 Nicort RoadClose to 68 Fairmont Ridge Trail
Between 40 and 53 Nicort Road 69 Fairmont Ridge Trail
 28 Nicort Road61 Fairmont Ridge Trail
12 Nicort Road50 Fairmont Ridge Trail
 25 Fairmont Ridge Trail
 15 Fairmont Ridge Trail
 3 Fairmont Ridge Trail


Installation of Asphalt Speed Humps in 2022

Speed hump installation will be commencing the week of August 22, 2022 and completed within the next three weeks. 

Mactaggart Drive
House Numbers

Sheardown Drive
House Numbers

8                     108


26                   128


44                   146


68                   164


86                   178


102                 190


Road Watch

The York Regional Police Road Watch Program is a community-driven program that provides citizens with a means to report dangerous or aggressive drivers to the Police.  Instances of unsafe lane changes, disobeying traffic lights and stop signs are some typical types of behaviours that qualify for a Road Watch submission.

Road Watch incorporates three components essential to modifying aggressive driving behaviour:

•    Public education and awareness
•    Participation
•    Enforcement

By creating greater awareness and encouraging increased public participation, the program is designed to reduce motor vehicle collisions and potential fatalities.

What is aggressive driving?

Aggressive driving is defined as speeding, following too closely, failure to yield right-of-way, improper lane changes, disobeying traffic signs and signals and other similar behaviour. The personal injury, vehicle damage, repair costs and time consequences have serious implications for everyone.

How can you help?

If you observe a dangerous act of aggressive driving on a Township of King road, please fill in the details on the Road Watch Online Citizen Report form, or call York Regional Police at 905-895-1221 ext. 7550.