King is making Christmas a bit brighter with Toys for Tickets program
Last year, King Township ran the Toys for Tickets program where anyone receiving a parking ticket close to Christmas was able to donate a toy for local underprivileged children instead of paying the fine.
Unfortunately due to the COVID-19 pandemic this year, in-person donations of toys was not possible.
“As much as we were looking forward to seeing the toys coming through the front door, it’s just not possible this year due to the pandemic and the fact the Municipal Centre is closed to the public,” said Manager of By-law Enforcement Nancy Cronsberry, on behalf of the By-law Enforcement Division.
This year, staff came up with the idea of donating directly. Last year, the toys were donated to “Christmas in King,” a sister organization of the King Township Food Bank. This year King Township directed a portion of traffic infraction fines to match the amount donated last year.
“We know how difficult this year has been for the community,” said Cronsberry. “Many people have had their hours cut back significantly and others have been without work for months on end. Being able to help these families out at Christmas was something we wanted to do. No child should go without a toy under the Christmas tree or in their stocking.”
King is also encouraging people to donate to Christmas in King in any of the following ways: •
- Donate a hamper of festive foods. CiK will provide the box and a family profile to assist in choosing items. CiK will also provide a list of suggested items as thought starters.
- Sponsor a Santa box, which is like a gift stocking.
- Donate funds. The Food Bank will issue tax receipts for your donation.
- Donate a gift. CiK’s program works by providing one requested present per adult and two per child.
- Fully ‘adopt’ a family and provide Christmas. Wreath, turkey, gifts and hamper would come to $400 for a family of 4 with two children.
- Volunteer to shop, with reimbursement from CiK.
For more information, please visit https://ktfb.ca/christmas-in-king-2020/.