As a part of King Township’s commitment to provide the highest water quality possible to our residents we have developed a Watermain Cleaning Program which is aimed at removing accumulated material and keeping the watermains as clean as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Watermain swabbing involves inserting a foam swab into the watermain through a fire hydrant. The diameter of the swab is slightly larger than the watermain and it is pushed along through the watermain using water pressure. As it passes through the watermain, the swab clears any sediment that has built up inside the watermain.
Please refrain from using your water when your street is being swabbed. Many people find it useful to turn off their main water shut-off (at the water meter) before swabbing begins to avoid any inadvertent running of the water – which may result in discoloured water/sediment being drawn into your internal plumbing.
The Township will make every effort to notify affected residents and businesses in the area including:
- Hand-delivery of notices to each affected residence at least 24 hours in advance
- Information posted on the Township's website
- Signboards posted in the affected neighbourhood
Before the scheduled operation begins, it is recommended to:
- Fill a clean container with tap water for drinking and cooking (store in fridge)
- Complete all dish washing, washing of clothing and other water-use activities prior to the swabbing start time
- Fill your bathtub with water for use around the house (you may use a pail to transfer water from the bathtub to your toilet bowl to allow your toilet to flush)
- Turn off your main water valve, located next to the water meter to prevent water use during this time
During the period that swabbing is underway, you should:
- Avoid using water for any purpose.
After the swabbing has finished for the day, you should:
- Turn your inside main water valve back on and ensure it is fully open.
- Run the cold water tap closest to your water meter (usually located in the basement) until the water is clear.
- If your home has a water softener run the cold water through a tap that does not go through your softener, if your garden hose does not go through your softener, you can irrigate your lawn or garden until the water is clear.
- If the water remains discoloured after 10 minutes of continuous flushing, please turn off the tap, wait 60 minutes and repeat the 10-minute flushing process again. If your water does not clear after two hours, please contact the Township of King for assistance at 905-833-5321.
- If you experience lower-than-normal water pressure after the maintenance is complete, please verify if it is at just one tap, or throughout your home. If it appears to be at one location only, try removing and cleaning the aerator (screen) at the tap and run the water until it clears.
- If you experience lower-than-normal water pressure or no water after the cleaning is complete, please call the Township at 905-833-5321.
Once the scheduled swabbing is complete and the normal water clarity has returned, all normal use can be resumed, including drinking the water.
If you are experiencing a strange odour and/or taste in your water, please contact the Township of King at 905-833-5321
The red/brown coloured water is from iron that has built up in the watermain. When conducting watermain swabbing and flushing programs, the iron is removed and as a result you may notice discoloured water being discharged into a catch basin or natural environment.
All discharged water is treated and the chlorine is removed prior to release into catch basins or the natural environment. While aesthetically unpleasing, the discoloured water presents no harmful effects to the environment.
Generally, the streets identified will be completed within the scheduled day/night. Work is typically completed within 8 to 10 hours.
In order to ensure the highest quality of water for our community, water and wastewater staff routinely perform watermain cleaning programs.
If you require constant water service for medical reasons, please contact us immediately at 905-833-5321 to be added to our list.