Strange, first known as Williamstown, got its start in 1841 with the building of a general store. This brought enough growth that in 1880, Dr. Frederick William Strange, the local MP, was successful in having a post office built (its second, following the closing of the first in 1854). In an expression of gratitude Williamstown thus took the name Strange on March 1st 1880. The original stores, post office, school house, blacksmith shop and Methodist Church are long gone but the remaining Presbyterian Church, two graveyards and a newer schoolhouse remind us of its past.
This particular photo shows the Strange Post Office and store in 1908 when they were operated by Robert Rutherford. Pictured with him in front of the building, which also included his residence, are his wife and family members.