Schomberg was originally named Brownsville, after the Brown brothers, who were early settlers in the area. John, Garrett and Thomas Brown immigrated to Canada from Pennsylvania in the 1830's. John, a farmer, bought 100 acres of land in 1845 and an additional 200 acres in 1865. Garret Brown started the area’s first bank in the house just west of Main Street at 7 Church Street. Thomas Brown built Brownsville’s first mill, which stood for 125 years before it was torn down and the lumber sold.
Before long there was a mill, a bank, general stores, a tannery, a blacksmith shop, a wagon shop, and two shoe shops serving the 1850 population of 100. By 1861 Brownsville very much needed a post office, for people had to travel to Lloydtown (one mile) for their mail. The Postmaster-General granted the application on condition that the name was changed because there was already a Brownsville in York County. On August 1, 1862, the post office opened under the name of Schomberg, with William Asa Moore as the first postmaster. Schomberg referred to a fallen hero of the Battle of the Boyne, the Duke of Schomberg.
Photo above was taken in 1895, it was a case of "Hey Ho, Come to the Fair." Schomberg Fair
In 1862 Schomberg was a large trading centre; the village continued to grow and prosper. In 1895 Schomberg added a tailor shop, bakery, furniture house, two hotels, a butcher, grocery store, jewellery store, hardware store, carriage works, two doctors, a veterinarian and an undertaker.
The coming of the Aurora and the Schomberg Railway to Schomberg in 1902 ended both the need to haul produce to Toronto by wagon and sleigh, and the long wait for goods to be shipped from Toronto. Now grain and livestock could easily reach the yards, and coal was brought in to replace wood. By 1927, however, the train was no longer needed because trucks were available to pick up the farm produce.
In 1852 an agricultural society of the area was first organized. It decided to hold an annual King Township Fall Fair with the site changing between Aurora, King Village, Laskay, Ketleby, Nobleton and Brownsville. In 1872 the society decided that the fair should be held annually in the fall until 1956, when it was changed to a spring fair. Today the Schomberg Agricultural Fair is still held annually at the end of May.