Laskay originally went by the nickname of Bulltown but it was 1832 settler Joseph Baldwin who named it after his home town of Loskie in England. Baldwin’s gristmill on the Humber River, together with his woolen mills, attracted farmers from all over the surrounding area. His lands, on the east side, and Senator David Reesor’s land, on the west side, were subdivided into village lots in the 1850’s. By the late 1800’s all the mills either burnt to the ground or were washed away by floods. Along Weston Road and tucked into the small side streets remain many of the homes and buildings that recall another time.