King City land grants date back to 1797. The original hamlet of Springhill, named for its many springs, benefited from the coming of the railway and a station in 1853 and the post office being established with Harvey Davis as postmaster. This stimulated its growth into a thriving village of 120. Named King in the late 1880’s by J.W. Crossley, the local Reeve, the village boasted many fine residences, hotels, inns and stores, a number of which survive to this day. The building known as Hogan’s Inn at the four corners was built circa 1855. This was one of the most important Inns of the area and was run by Mr. & Mrs John Hogan for nearly fifty years. The Crawford Wells store was built in approximately 1863 by Benjamin Lloyd.
Lining and surrounding the crossroads of Keele Street and King Road (once the 4th Concession and the 14th Side road) additional sites still serve residents and visitors alike, much as they have for over 150 years. Several buildings tell their story through their proudly displayed historical plaques.
Figure 1: The station shown in this 1908 photo below was built in the vicinity of Keele Street and Station Road. It has since been relocated and is housed at the Township Museum site on King Road.
Figure 2: A once very familiar view, looking west from the mail area of King, is presented in this photo, taken in 1971, before the railroad crossing with its flashing lights and alarm was eliminated at the intersection of Keele Street and King Road (below).