Sign In

Hammertown

Hammertown took its name from the sound of the blacksmith’s work on his anvil. First settled in the mid 1800’s it was also once the site of a post office, carpenter’s shop, shoemaker, a one room school house and two churches. The gravestones of the two nearby pioneer cemeteries list the names of many of the earliest residents.

Hammertown residents felt that the postal authorities had really delivered in 1912 when the stamp of approval was put on opening of the Post Office shown.

 

Hammertown Post Office Image