Sign In

Augustinian Monastery

Augustinian Monastery, 13760 Keele St.

Sir Henry Mill Pellatt, of Casa Loma fame, had these entrance gates and gatehouse built in 1911 for his 1,000 acre country estate.  Designed by E.J. Lennox, the style and construction are similar to Casa Loma and are based on Norman and Scottish castle architecture.  They are built of finely cut stone with fieldstone infill. The Augustinian Order bought the property in 1942 for their main retreat.  The retreat house and a magnificent barn all date from Pellatt’s time.  Designated in 1999.

      Image of the Augustinian Monastery entrance gate