King's Official Plan Review is underway to develop a new Official Plan, which will include complete Provincial plan conformity exercises to incorporate the Greenbelt Plan, the Growth Plan, the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan, and Source Protection Plans into the Township's official plan documents. The Township has retained Meridian Planning Consultants to assist staff with the Review.
Please refer to this site for notices for upcoming meetings to discuss the preparation of the new Official Plan and information to consider as it becomes available.
On November 2, 2015 Council received the Phase Two: Policy Directions Report (link available in "What's Happened So Far" section, below) which establishes a series of seven policy directions that will inform the preparation of the new Official Plan. Policy directions relating to Intensification, Existing Neighbourhoods, Promoting Sustainable Communities, and Structure of the Official Plan were recommended.
On May 16, 2016 Council received Planning Staff Report P-2016-16 presenting additional density work entitled "Understanding Greenfield Density and Intensification in King Township". Recommended policy directions on Growth Management, Greenfield Density, and Employment Lands were endorsed, providing the direction for the policies of the new Official Plan.
A Public Open House was held on September 24, 2015 to present Phase Two: Policy Directions Report (link available under "What's Happened So Far", below).
A Public Open House was held on March 10th, 2015. The Township has completed a Background Discussion Paper for Phase One of the project, which was the subject of the Public Open House.
In 2014, we held a Public Forum on Wednesday, October 8th at the Nobleton Arena and Community Centre to obtain community input on Official Plan Review principles that have been developed using the input we received from you at our Special Meeting of Council last November. Below is the presentation and information from that evening.
Official Plan Review Public Forum Presentation - October 8, 2014
We invite and encourage you to stay informed by signing up for our Email Updates for upcoming public meetings and opportunities to participate in the process of creating a new Parent Official Plan.
What's happened so far?
- Request for a Special Meeting of Council (Report No. P-2013-47) – September 23, 2013
- Introductory Discussion Paper - October 2013
- Special Meeting of Council & Introductory Discussion Paper (Report No. P-2013-68) - November 28, 2013
- Special Meeting of Council for Official Plan Review Presentation - November 28, 2013
- Summary of Community Input Received (Report No. P-2014-03) – January 27, 2014
- Proposed Terms of Reference for Official Plan Review – March 17, 2014
- Award of Contract for Consulting Services – June 9, 2014
- Official Plan Review Newsletter No. 1 - October, 2014
- Open House Presentation - March 10th, 2015
- Phase One Report - Background and Information - March, 2015
- Policy Directions Workshop - Revised April 29, 2015
- Phase Two Report - Recommended Policy Directions - September 24th, 2015
- Phase Two Policy Directions Boards (Open House) - September 24th, 2015
- Understanding Greenfield Density and Intensification in King Township - May 16, 2016
Community Input Word Cloud
Stay tuned for updates here, and notices in the King Weekly Sentinel for details, and be sure to sign up for our Email Updates!
What is the Official Plan?
An official plan is an important planning policy document that describes how lands should be used. An official plan establishes principles, objectives, and strategies intended to guide development, while providing for the conservation and enhancement of natural systems to ensure that future planning and development meets the specific needs of the communities it serves. Official plans consist of a combination of maps, schedules, and policies that indicate where new housing, commercial, industry and offices will be located, identify where municipal services and infrastructure will be needed, and how communities will grow. An official plan influences the quality of life in a municipality.
It's time for a new Parent Official Plan! Why Review the Official Plan?
The Planning Act prescribes certain provincial and regional conformity requirements for municipal official plans, and requires such documents to be reviewed and updated not less frequently than every five years to ensure these requirements are achieved. King Township's Parent Official Plan (1970) was approved in 1970, and has since been amended over 80 times. An Official Plan Review is required for a number of reasons, including:
- Legislative changes
- Provincial and Regional policy direction
- Managing growth
- Promoting sustainability
- Providing overarching direction to existing secondary/community plans for King's hamlets and settlement areas
- Establish a contemporary overarching policy context for updating Township zoning by-laws
King Township has undertaken several major initiatives that could influence the Official Plan Review including the:
Many of the supporting projects have included extensive public engagement.
How does the Official Plan affect me?
The new Parent Official Plan will help develop a vision for how King is going to evolve and grow over the long-term, and how to achieve it. Your input is important to undertake an effective Official Plan Review. Public consultation is your opportunity to participate in shaping the King's new overarching Parent Official Plan.
Additional information and updates relating to the Official Plan Review are available by contacting the Planning Department.
Kristen Harrison, Policy Planner
905.833.5321 x 4065
Facebook: King Township
King miCity App