Sign In

Clean Yards

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​What is a Clean Yards By-law?

The Clean Yards By-law​ 2016-68​ sets out minimum standards for properties in the Township of King including some rules on litter, waste and property maintenance to help ensure that properties are safe, clean and attractive in relation to adjacent properties.

Clean Yards By-law has rules regarding: Picture of well maintained house on street

  • Vegetation, grass, weeds, and trees, including boulevard grass maintenance
  • Garbage, waste, litter and​ debris
  • Standing water, snow and ice
  • Public nuisance (e.g. dust, lighting)
  • Storage of: composting, fire wood, dirt piles
  • Drainage including: sanitary sewage, ground water, etc.
  • Pits, Excavations
  • Parking of vehicles, trailers and/or boats
  • Graffiti  

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Image of Question MarkWho do I contact if I have a question or complaint about the condition of a property in King?

If you have questions or concerns with respect to the maintenance of property in your area, please contact the By-law Enforcement Services by phone is 905-833-4002, or email​.

Make sure to provide the following information so that an investigation can be opened about your concern.

  1. The address of the property you believe does not comply with the by-law and a description of the issues regarding the property.
  2. Your name, address and telephone number for our Municipal By-law Officers to contact regarding concerns.

Please note that we are unable to take anonymous calls, but that all complaint information remains confidential and will not be disclosed. Learn more about how to report a by-law enforcement infraction​ or about how by-law enforcement officers respond to a by-law infraction​

Picture of Lawnmower cutting grass

How long can my grass be?

Grass and weeds must be maintained in a living condition and cut so as not to be unreasonably overgrown in relation to the neighbouring environment.

Is there a minimum level of boulevard maintenance that property owners are responsible for?

Yes, the property owner is responsible for grass maintenance on the adjacent boulevard (e.g. beside, in front, or behind the property) in residential, commercial and industrial zones.

Can I store waste on my lawn, since it is my property?

Photo of raccoonNo, property owners must ensure that their land is kept free and clear of household waste. This helps to ensure that wildlife is not attracted onto your property.

Containers used for waste collection services must comply with the Township's Waste Collection By​-law 2018-77​. For more information about recycling and waste collection, please visit the Engineering and Public Works web pages.  

York Region waste depots and community environmental centres provide convenient locations to drop-off a variety of materials, including those that are not picked up during regular curbside collection. For more information visit depots or call 1-866-665-6752.  

View the King Waste Collection Calen​dar​.  

I have witnessed someone littering or dumping in King, what do I do? 

If you have witnessed someone in the act of littering or dumping waste in the Township, please contact By-Law Enforcement Services. Please record a description of the person(s) who committed the violation and any other relevant details including the date, time, location, vehicle licence plate numbers and pictures (if able to do so safely) to assist the Township with its investigation.

Find a copy of the Illegal Dumping and Site Alteration Witness Report here

​​​What is standing water? How can I avoid it? Picture of pond with fountain

Standing water is any water, other than a natural body of water that exists on a permanent basis. Standing water can be avoided by ensuring that the following items are in good repair and working condition such as a: swimming pool, hot tub, wading pool, drainage swale or artificial pond. All buckets, wheel barrels, and small forms of standing water should be dumped on a regular basis.

What does the Clean Yard Bylaw say about composting?

There are several conditions contained in the bylaw related to composting. In general, residents need to ensure that all composting takes place in a container, pile or digester. Compost bins may only be placed in rear yards, and must be kept at least 1.2 meters (3.93 ft.) from any property line. Please ensure that composting is kept free of offensive odours and infestation. 

Who is responsible for snow removal?Picture of snow shovel

The Clean Yards By-law refers to snow and ice in terms of sidewalk maintenance. Property owners are responsible for clearing snow and ice from sidewalks, and have up to twenty four (24) hours after the end of a snow accumulation to remove snow and ice.

Pesticide Use and Information 

All pesticides used in Canada must meet the requirements of the Pest Control Products Act and its regulations. The federal government registers and designates pesticides into one of four classes so they can be sold and used in Canada. Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency reviews, evaluates and registers pesticides to meet current health and safety standards in Canada. After the federal government registers a pesticide, it is automatically classified in Ontario according to the federal class designation and available for sale and use. 

The provincial government regulates the sale, use, transportation, storage and disposal of pesticides in Ontario. Ontario's Pesticides Act and Ontario Regulation 63/09 provide the province's framework to regulate pesticides to protect human health and the natural environment. 

​For information about Ontario's cosmetic pesticide ban and its relation to municipalities, vie​w their technical guidance page​. ​​

Additional Information 

Clean Yards By-law  

This By-law repeals the Littering By-law 2002-138, the Standing Water By-law 2003-32 and further Section 4.3 through to Section 4.6.4, and Section 4.10.4 through to Section 4.10.10 of the Property Standar​ds By-law 98-182, as of July 11th, 2016.

If you have any questions about the by-law or are unsure about certain restrictions or your obligations as a property owner, please contact By-law Enforcement Services at 905-833-4002, or email us at by-law@king​​.ca​.